Duration: 5 hours (approx)
Monday to Saturday
- Delicious traditional and contemporary foods from the Dwars River Valley
- Home-cooked dishes
- Meet valley residents
- The best of the Valley’s wine
- Farm road and village cycling
- All food
- Local guide
- All hosting fees
- Bicycle hire
- Transport to and from the starting point
- Discretionary gratuities
Best suited for
- Those wanting a traditional culinary experience in the Winelands
- Solo travelers
- Incentive groups
- Lovers of cycling
What to know before booking
- Once you have made your booking, a confirmation will be sent to your email.
- The confirmation will contain the address of the starting point, directions, and the time to be there
- Most dietary needs are catered for, please indicate in the Special Requirements section
- Guests need to get to the starting point, and back to their accommodation, on their own
- Toddlers can be accommodated on bike seats
This most fertile of valleys, the Dwars River Valley, lies in the middle of the Cape Winelands between the famous wine towns of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.
It is home to a wide selection of foods… from the fine wines and organic produce the wine estates offer, to iconic street food and the home-cooked traditional dishes and treats favoured by the valley’s residents.
This five hour tour takes guests on a journey by bike, on farm roads and village roads and back roads, through the flavours, textures and stories of the Dwars River Valley. Guests enjoy home restaurants, tasting rooms, corner cafes and a range of Valley characters.
Guests enjoy items such as boerewors rolls, tomatie bredie, roosterbrood, chisa nyama, umqhusho, chakalaka and the gatsby, as well as local beer and wine from the valley.
A typical itinerary could look like this:
- 10h00 meet at starting point, select bikes and do programme briefing.
- 10h45 Rooibos tea, boerewors roll and koesuster tasting
- 11h30 Gatsby tasting
- 12h45 tomatie bredie and roosterbrood with local wine
- 14h00 chisa nyama with chakalaka and umqhusho
- 15h00 back at Boschendal
The total cycling distance is about 20km of moderate level riding, broken up by the food stops and manageable by any average cyclist. Suitable for ages 8 and up on their own bikes. Children up to age 4 can be accommodated on bike seats.