(Cover image Odysseus Shirindza, operations manager Gallery Momo, Johannesburg, by iain Harris)
Duration: 4 hours (approx)
Private tours only
Tuesday to Sunday
- Meet a local curator OR an artist in studio
- Artist hosted public art component
- Visits to top galleries
- mineral water
- private guide and vehicle
- collection from and return to accommodation, if centrally located
- any entrance fees if applicable
- discretionary tips
Best suited for travelers interested in
- an overview of the Johannesburg art scene
- contemporary African fine art
- the future of African art
- getting insider access to the contemporary art scene they wouldn’t otherwise get
- art and community / economic development
The Johannesburg Art Safari is a four hour exploration of art as it is found in galleries, public spaces and artists studios across Johannesburg.
On this private tour, guests are introduced to galleries we love, some of them public (such as the Wits Art Museum and Johannesburg Art Gallery), some of them private (such as Gallery Momo, Stevenson, Goodman). We like to meet a curator, and get a sense not only of what is under their curatorship, but also of the scene in general.
Public art is important to us, moving the gallery on the street and engaging collective consciousness in public expression. We bring in a specialist for this component.
And we also like to get into artist studios, and as a final element, visit an artist in their studio.
FOR THOSE WITH A DEEPER INTEREST, MULTI-DAY ART PROGRAMMES ARE AVAILABLE, PLEASE EMAIL US
A typical itinerary could look like this:
- 09h00 collection at accommodation
- 09h30 artist-guided public art tour
- 11h00 Johannesburg Art Gallery
- 12h00 Gallery Momo, hosted by Curator OR meet artist in studio
- 12h45 transfer back to accommodation
- 13h15 back at accommodation