Duration: 4 hours (approx)
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays
(available any night on a private basis)
1900 – 2300
- Meet Johannesburg jazz musicians in their homes
- Light supper
- Discover the city through her music
- Light dinner
- Beer or soft drink over dinner
- Entrance fees to jazz venue if applicable
- Hotel pickup and drop off (within 15km radius from Rosebank)
- Alcoholic drinks at jazz venue if visited
- Discretionary tips
- Collection and drop off if outside of 15km radius of Rosebank
This experience is suitable for
- Fans of African music, whether casual or serious
- Fans of jazz, whether casual or serious
- Fans of small group experiences
- Travelers seeking an evening experience with dinner in Johannesburg
- Music lovers seeking intimate home concerts
- Families with children 13 and older (please request a private tour if children are 12 and younger)
On this four hour evening Jazz Safari in Johannesburg, guests enjoy a private concert in the homes of jazz musicians, a home-cooked dinner, and the late set at a local jazz club if the programming is good.
Johannesburg is an incredibly connected city – it connects internally to the rest of the South Africa, and it connects north, to the rest of the continent. Where Cape Town’s primary connections are via the ocean (and hence much of the port city, creole, influence on its music), Johannesburg’s connections are deeper within the continent, and her original jazz has deeper Pan African influences.
The Johannesburg Jazz Safari evening has two parts – part one is a visit to the home of a jazz musician for dinner, with conversation and a concert, and part two is a visit either to the home of a second musician for a nightcap, or to a jazz venue for the late set.
The experience is intimate and deep, full of music and engagement and fun. It is a unique opportunity to meet local musicians away from club stages, and an excellent way to discover more about Johannesburg, her people, South African political history, and of course, music!
A typical itinerary could look like this:
- 18h45 – 19h15 Collection of guests from hotels
- 19h15 Transfer to dinner host
- 19h40 Dinner and private concert
- 21h30 Nightcap at the home of a second musician OR the late set at a jazz club
- 22h45 – 23h15 Drop offs at hotels