(cover image Cinga Samson “Before the day has a meaning”, oil on canvas, from his 2017
Safari Fantasy exhibition. Cinga is a regular featured artist on the Cape Town Art Route)
Duration: 4 hours (approx)
Private tours only
Monday to Friday
- Meet a local artist in their studio
- Gallery visit
- Artist hosted Street Art Tour
- Mineral water
- Private guide and vehicle
- Collection from and return to accommodation, if centrally located
- Any entrance fees if applicable
- Discretionary tips
Best suited for travelers interested in
- contemporary African fine art
- meeting artists in studios for personal engagements
- the future of African art
- getting insider access to the contemporary art scene they wouldn’t otherwise get
- art and community / economic development
This half day tour takes guests into the studios of fine artists in Cape Town for a totally fresh and contemporary look at the local art world. We start with a visit to a gallery, maybe the Stevenson, one of the top galleries in the city, maybe the Association for the Visual Arts, it all depends on what is showing. Then we meet a local graffiti artist and are hosted for a street art tour in Woodstock and Salt River, one of the country’s street art capitals, delving deep into the works themselves, public space as gallery space, and the tensions between art, capital and property. We finish with a visit to an artist in their studio, for insight into their work, and into the art scene as a whole.
Sometimes if there are no suitable exhibitions, we feature two artists in studio and skip the gallery.
The Art Route is a four hour tour.
The Art Route Cape Town runs on a private basis only
Meet one of our favourite artists, and Art Route host John Bauer, in this video clip below.