Duration: 4 hours (approx)
From USD 120 per person
Monday to Saturday
SPECIAL OFFER! 10% OFF STANDARD RATE OF USD $120 pp UNTIL SEPTEMBER 2018!
“It’s no longer just the story of Mandela – it’s the story of the people”
- Tour of the Soweto Theatre
- Taste local Soweto craft beer tasting
- Meet and engage a local entrepreneur
- Taste some Soweto traditional snacks
- Any entrance fees
- English speaking guide
- Air-conditioned mini-van
- Collection and drop-off
- Tasting fees and snacks
- Hosting fees
- Mineral water
- Discretionary gratuities
- Lunch or Dinner
- While history is a constant thread, the focus of Soweto Futures is the present and the future
- Suitable for all ages
- Soweto Futures engages guests with Soweto residents
There is so much heritage and history to Soweto, that often the fact that it is current and contemporary and modern, the fact that it has a future, is totally overlooked. In addition to the incredible histories of Soweto, the powerful stories of the Soweto Uprisings, and those of resistance figures such as Mandela and Tutu, there are the extraordinary stories about now, about the Soweto that is being shaped as you read this.
These are the stories that this tour is most interested in, with stories of Soweto’s past as a constant thread.
Our half day Soweto Futures tour defies many of the assumed notions of what Soweto and her people is like or should be like. We visit the Soweto Theatre, one of the most exciting pieces of architecture in Johannesburg, probably in South Africa. We tour hot street art. We taste wine at the swanky the first wine bar in a township in South Africa. We meet designers, and we sample Soweto brewed craft beer…
All in all it’s a refreshingly contemporary and futuristic take on one of South Africa’s most famous suburbs, designed to provide a sense of how Soweto is helping to shape the future of Johannesburg.
A typical itinerary could look like this:
- 14h00 Collection at hotel, introduction to the programme
- 14h45 A tour of the Soweto Theatre
- 15h30 Beer Tasting at the Ubuntu Kraal Brewery
- 16h30 Meet a Soweto entrepreneur
- 17h2- Return to accommodation
- 18h05 Drop off at hotel
Along the way, between locations, guests learn about the history of Soweto, and the role it has played in South Africa’s political, cultural and economic past. As the tour takes place on a private basis, there is the opportunity to follow guest whim and explore off the programme.